Sunday 16 September 2012

Illustration Magazine



I chose this article from an old copy of Illustration Magazine as  I found it incredibly interesting how Chris Riddell, a children's illustrator and newspaper cartoonist, uses many different styles of illustration, from contemporary gothic to being inspired by Golden Age illustrators and Edwardian fantasy classics. I am also intrigued by how the series of books which has become so popular started with one of Riddell's drawings of a map, and how enough material for ten books has spanned from that. This is helped by Riddell's use of sketchbooks, as he has dedicated some specially to the characters and places used in the book. This has inspired me to keep a sketchbook with me at all times, to document what surrounds me, as you never know what you might end up using it for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment