Sunday 16 September 2012

Introduction to Illustration


Flicking through magazines and seeing the variety of cards on display in shops I have come to see that illustration surrounds me in my everyday environment. When I started this week I didn't realise that illustration was used over such a broad spectrum of media, from court illustrations to websites and advertising, and I have definitely become more aware of this. 
By using a stick and ink to draw, I have learnt that the key tools of an illustrator aren't always confined to a pencil or pen, and have rather taken to using my left hand to draw instead of my right, as the end image isn't as controlled and the lines are more fluid. 
Researching artists, I have found that Izziyana Suhaimi and David Downton have inspired me to experiment more, with different materials, and to not be too controlled. Downton's work has shown me that a full outline isn't always needed to portray what you're drawing, as colours and small suggestive lines will let your mind create what isn't there. And Suhaimi has made me see that by adding colour in the form of embroidery to a pencil drawing, it can bring more life and vibrance to a piece.
I think that within illustration, I find fashion illustrations the most interesting and captivating, and something I would perhaps like to have a more in depth look at. This is because the way outfits and pieces are portrayed by the artist, it makes them look really elegant, I especially love the way watercolours and inks are used to capture movement in the illustrations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment